To perform watch keeping as per Master instructions and to be responsible for upkeep of lifesaving and safety equipment. To assist in the safe and efficient carriage of cargoes.
Duties and Responsibilities
- To keep life-saving appliances and fire-fighting equipment in a constant
state of readiness and to effect and record regular inspections
- To ensure that security equipment is maintained in good order and readily available.
- To maintain weather monitoring equipment and to compile weather logs and data for submission to shore authorities.
- To support the Shipboard organisation.
- To deputise for the Third Mate when necessary.
- To take charge of a cargo watch and/or ship keeping duties as required by the Captain or his deputy.
- To take charge of mooring/unmooring operations as required.
- To assist Chief Mate for cargo/ballast operation and tank cleaning.
- To assist Chief Mate with cargo documentation
- To observe all statutory requirements with regard to pollution.
- To control and maintain flags, shapes and visual and sound signalling equipment.
- To be responsible for the management of the ship's technical library.
- To be responsible for the control of films, videos etc., used for training.
- To prepare arrival/departure documentation.
- Other duties as required by the Master.